A south facing view of the Prairie Acre Resoration Project sign sitting near Prairie Acre. The Wakarusa Valley sits in the background.

 

Prairie Acre was established in 1932 and is the last remaining patch of native tallgrass prairie on the KU Lawrence Campus. The site is located south of Blake and Twente Halls, sitting on a hillside that is roughly one-third of an acre in size. Over the past several decades, the prairie remnant degraded in quality, but a 2014 a capstone course in the Environmental Studies Program has revived efforts to preserve and restore Prairie Acre. For a more detailed history of Prairie Acre, visit KU History; Prairie Tales by Mark D. Hersey and Robb Campbell.  


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today